For more information on what works in substance abuse treatment, visit: http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/preventing-drug-abuse-among-children-adolescents-in-brief/chapter-4-examples-research-based-drug-abuse-prevention-programs
For a compendium of programs that have strong evidence of their effectiveness, see the National Registry of Prevention Programs, at: http://www.nrepp.samhsa.gov/
To order a free book on identifying and selecting an evidence-based intervention, visit: http://store.samhsa.gov/product/Identifying-and-Selecting-Evidence-Based-Interventions-for-Substance-Abuse-Prevention/SMA09-4205
To view more information on the following evidence-based prevention principles from the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, visit: https://www.ncjrs.gov/ondcppubs/publications/prevent/evidence_based_eng.html
- Address appropriate risk and protective factors for substance abuse in a defined population.
- Use approaches that have been shown to be effective
- Intervene early at important stages and transitions
- Intervene in appropriate settings and domains.
- Manage programs effectively.